3.30.2013

The Uncelestial City; Humbert Wolfe; Amazon review

I was first aquainted with Wolfe's poetry via Louis Untermeyer's anthology "Modern Poetry", issued originally in 1920. What struck me about this poet was his economy. The poems featured in that antholgy were predominantly what I would call miniatures, a typical one being this charmer, called "The Lilac":

Who thought of the lilac?
"I," dew said,
" I made up the lilac
out of my head."

"She made up the lilac!
"Pooh!" thrilled a linnet,
and each dew-note had a
lilac in it.


On the basis of that little handful of poems alone, I sent away for this volume. My copy was printed in 1930, and the book does show signs of wear and age. Though the hard cover binding is still excellent, the pages are heavily browned but still sturdy. An interesting little surprise with this book was that a few of its pages had not yet been cut. It marked my first and only acquaintance with a book with uncut pages.

All that aside, I was more than pleased with The Uncelestial City, particulary when I noted that it was one large work comprised of short pieces. Without explaining the over all theme or content, let's just say that Wolfe addresses many issues in this work, issues philosophical (primarily moral), theological, as well as addressing social class systems, the judicial system of the poet's time, and, albeit subtly and with delicate fondness, romance. Most of the story unfolds in the environment of a courtroom, and there are speeches and pontifications humorous, satirical, and deadly serious.

I won't say that the work ranks in the highest strata. Despite its length, it is not epic poetry. Nonetheless, I found it emminently readable and at times profound, as well as warm, without sentimentality or pathos.

No comments: