7.13.2012

Review of Legion; posted @ Amazon

Though I've revered the film, The Exorcist, for years, I only recently decided to start reading William Peter Blatty's books. I wish I hadn't waited so long! I was pleasantly surprised, when I read The Exorcist, at how well-written the book was, how economical, concise, and how breezy a read. That might sound daft, considering the horrific content of the novel mentioned, but it's quite true nonetheless: the book was a breeze, as far as actual time spent with it is concerned.

On to Legion, which is the sequel to The Exorcist. I had only a vague idea of a film that was made based on the novel, but no real familiarity with the story. What chiefly interested me in the novel, besides the obvious reason that it was penned by Blatty and associated with themes I revere and enjoy, were some of the reviews here at Amazon. As a lover of philosophy, naturally I was not intimidated by the frequent mentions of the novel's protagonist William F. Kinderman's forays into philosophical ruminations. Some have referred to these ruminations as "navel-gazing" asides, distractions, or interruptions in the narrative; but on a deeper understanding of the author's faith and intention in the work, such broodings and mentations are as welcome in the novel as Hamlet's are in the play of that name.

The ideas of good and evil, of cosmic or divine justice, the sad fact of catastrophic human suffering, the capacity of the human nervous system with respect to the toleration of pain, as well as the effects of suffering on human psychology, are integral and essential to Mr. Blatty's work, and of keen corrolation to the details of criminal investigation and pathology.

I'm glad that I had the voice and image of the great Lee J. Cobb in my noggin as I read the book. I'm certain that this was a great help in my enjoyment of it. I don't see the character as a Jewish stereotype, nor do the occasional Yiddish terms and phrases bother me. As a Christian, I have a deep love for the Jewish people and a great interest and love for Judeo-Christian culture, theology, history, and literature. My favorite book, object wise, is my beautiful edition of the Tanakh. I truly don't understand the objections to the Kinderman character in this novel. He is a man of high intelligence and is deeply humane and compassionate. Incidentally, a carp in a bathtub should be so off-putting? So what? We have traditions. Give the book a read, you might like it. Couldn't hurt.

Legion is terrifying, but it's also a pleasure, and important.

No comments: