1.25.2005

"Superstition aint the way..."

You know, I was never much of a Stevie Wonder fan. I knew a few of his songs and liked them somewhat, but throughout the course of my forty years on this planet I never even pondered the idea of buying one of his albums. My tastes leaned mostly towards classic and heavy rock, or metal,---though not the spandex-n-hair flavor that proliferated during the early eightees---and prog-rock like Tull and Yes. I had a side interest in classical music, and for a brief term was into jazz and jazz/rock fusion. R&B, adult contemporary, soul, what have you, never interested me. I didn't dislike it, I just never developed an interest in that sort of stuff.

About a month ago I heard Stevie's song "Higher Ground" on the radio at work. Of course, I knew the song, could sing along with it, had heard it scores of times, but never really listened to it, never paid much attention to it. I turned up the volume on the little boom-box we have at work and it suddenly struck me that Stevie Wonder is an amazing singer. A really amazing singer. Anyway, I began to generate this intense interest in Stevie, and it seemed to just come out of the blue. I bought "The Definitive Collection" cd, mainly for "Superstition" and "Higher Ground". I didn't recognize most of the other titles.

When I sat down and listened to the cd, I was surprised to discover that I was familiar with most of the tracks, and I was blown away by how good the songs were. Most of the up-tempo tunes have this infectious joy to them that you can't help responding to, and the ballads are great, particularly "My Cherie Amour", which has some of the best singing I think I've ever heard in a "popular" song. Stevie's phrasing and timing are uncanny. I am sure that he would have made a name for himself for his singing alone. But there is so much talent in this man that it's hard to know where to begin. I had no idea Stevie was a drummer, and actually played a great deal of the percussion parts on his albums. I always associated him with the piano or Moog synth. He's also an excellent harmonica player. As for his skills as a composer, his work pretty much speaks for itself; but it's the kind of talent that won't come across in all of it's glory just by dribbling out of a radio.

I suggest getting some Stevie Wonder music, preferably from that rich middle period from the early to mid-seventies, and listening to it on a very good system, with the volume as loud as you (and your system) can tolerate. If you aren't positively MOVED by the experience, if you can listen and somehow manage NOT to smile, and if you can somehow miraculously keep your head from bobbing in time, then my advice would be to seek medical attention as soon as possible.

Stevie Wonder has been going strong since 1963. He was a professional at the age of thirteen. I think it might be fair to say that Stevie is one of the greatest recording artists of the last forty years. I am very happy to have made his acquaintance, finally, and I am glad that, whatever come, Stevie Wonder's music will enrich the remainder of my days. What a mistake it would have been to have lived my life without ever really opening my ears to appreciate such a brilliant musical mind.

Thanks, Stevie, for finally getting through to me.

No comments: